Friday, June 29, 2007

Microsoft's Vista encourages insane behavior

One definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over, expecting to get different results.
Yesterday I had the task of getting a co-worker's email to work on his laptop(It could send, but not receive.). It was a Compaq running Vista. I opened the "Mail" program and went to the Account Settings dialog and checked the settings. They looked fine. I took the computer to my cube and checked the settings versus the ones I use for Outlook 2003. They looked the same - minor differences in servers not withstanding.

I made some changes and got it to receive, but it wouldn't send. I changed it back and it went back. I made it like it should have been and it didn't work. I made other changes and it didn't work either incoming or outgoing. I changed it back and it would send, but not receive. Are you seeing a pattern? I'm not! :^)

So, anyway, after a while I changed it back (again) to the way it should have been and it worked. 5% battery left, too. Perhaps Vista chose to have pity and end the joke whilst I could appreciate it. :^/

No comments: