Wednesday, April 18, 2007

My ministry...

has been described by my wife as: "making sure that the computers of our visiting missionaries run properly." (We live close to our church, have a large basement and a penchant for hospitality and a desire to know the missionaries we support.)

Now, as you might have guessed, these are usually PCs. I'm a Mac guy. But, since I work with PCs all day, I know too much about them.

So when the, generally non-techno-savvy, missionaries come for an evening or 4, I hook 'em up to my DSL via wireless connection for their edification and ask them what they use to combat various types of PC malware.

I recommend Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware SE, ZoneAlarm and AVG.

And, as I learned last night, I should also recommend that they do backups more often. Our visitor had a Dell laptop that would emit a "tick-tick-tick" noise every 3 seconds. Doing a hard drive check revealed 20+ cluster errors in a variety of files. I was able to get the system files from my PC laptop, but some of the family photos and 3rd party programs are probably gone.

Proof of success of the endeavor was that E-Sword(.net) was successfully re-installed and working. :^)

No comments: